Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 19: Disrespecting your parents

I will never forget when I said a cuss word in front of my mom.

I knew what would happen, she had been very clear.  Maybe part of me just assumed she wouldn't follow through with it.  I remember it was summer time, and I had been outside playing.  I came inside because I was mad about something.  Come to think of it, I don't even remember which cuss word I said.  Well, that doesn't even matter.  The point is, my mom heard me.  She grabbed me by my arm and brought me to the downstairs bathroom in the Connecticut house.  I don't remember her saying very much to me, she didn't have to.  What was coming was punishment enough for me.  She made me open my mouth, and she stuck a large bar of soap on my tongue.  I was told to leave it there for one minute.  She left the room.  I was too scared to take the soap out of my mouth before a minute was up because, well, Mom saw everything.  And I mean everything.  I don't know how she did it, but she always knew.  So I stood in that bathroom that summer day for a minute with a bar of soap in my mouth.  I have never cussed infront of her to this day.

As kids, disrespecting your parents is second nature.  That's how I feel, anyways.  It's typical, normal.  It's what kids do.  That doesn't make it right.  But I don't know a single person who has never disrespected their parents.  Some kids grow out of that "rebel" phase.  Some kids, it takes a little longer.  I think it's important to respect your parents.  You may not always agree with them, but I think kids should try to respect their parents as much as possible.  In my family, we were to follow all house/parent rules until we graduated from college.  I remember wanting to get my belly button pierced so bad in college.  But my mom and dad warned me that if I decided to get it pierced before I graduated, they would stop paying for college.  So, logically (at least for me, it was a no-brainer), I waited.  And a month after I was done with classes, I went with one of my co-workers at the time and got a pretty blue ring in my belly button.  Still wear it to this day.  And I love it!  And I'm so glad that I waited :)

The "other" Cassie ;)  This girl is precious!  She's my very dearest red-haired friend.  I've known her since September 2008.  We both worked at the same agency.  I remember my first impression of her was her ohhh sooooo friendly attitude!  She was easy to talk with, engaging.  She always had some funny forward on her phone from her mom or step-dad.  We sometimes did school routes together so we could spend the day hanging out.  Then she went and moved up to Indiana :(  She got me THE best birthday gift I've ever gotten...tickets to my first ever Patriots game!!!  I was so excited!!!  We drove up to Chicago and stayed with my mom and dad for the weekend of the game.  It was sooo cold!  I bundled up in snow pants and my mom's huge, warm North Face coat.  It was one of those classic games, the ones that they will show one day on ESPN Classics.  The snow was falling, the crowd was rowdy.  A very memorable game.  I will never forget that day.  Thanks again, Cass, for the tickets AND for braving the cold with me to watch a football game between 2 teams you don't care for.  That's true friendship :)  You are a one-of-a-kind!  Cassie, you are funny, quirky, loyal, considerate, a good cook, thoughtful, sweet as candy, and trustworthy.  I will love you forever, friend!  Looking forward to you coming to visit me in a month when we go get our massages!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment