Sunday, March 27, 2011

It's A Wonderful Life

As I am writing this, I'm sitting on the balcony of my parent's home in North Carolina with a view of the mountains.  There is just the faintest trace of fog sitting on top of them, and it's beautiful.  I'm blessed to be spending a long weekend with my family.  Right now, David (my brother-in-law) is gently strumming his acoustic guitar.  Mckenzie is building a fire in the fireplace.  Meredith is sitting beside me playing with her iPod Touch.  My friend Staci is upstairs getting ready for the day.  Mom is pouring over her newest cook book, reading out different recipes for all of us to choose from for dinner tonight.  Dad is updating his brackets.  Connie (my wonderful adoptive grandmother) is sitting by the fire reading a Dennis Miller book.  And Aunt Karen (my dad's older sister) is relaxing and reading a book.  My brother Andrew is currently in Connecticut, making his way to North Carolina for the week.  He should be arriving late this evening, and I can't wait to see him :)  I've had such a difficult last few weeks at work, and it's just so refreshing to be with my family.  I am blessed.

I've been reading this book that a friend of mine lent me.  It's called "Cure for the Common Life: Living in your Sweet Spot."  It's by Max Lucado.  It's about recognizing and embracing the gifts/talents that God has given to you, and using those to not only glorify God, but to also keep yourself from living a mundane life.  I read this last night, and it really hit home for me:  "God is with us. Prophets weren't enough.  Apostles wouldn't do.  Angels won't suffice.  God sent more than miracles and messages.  He sent Himself; He sent his Son."  God is with us.  That's a beautiful thing.

2 comments:

  1. I hope your day has been wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it has been :) let's hang out this week sometime, i need a steph and meg date :)

    ReplyDelete