Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 13: Somewhere you'd like to move or visit

 Couple things before I start...I'm part-watching the State of the Union.  I wonder if Tareq and Michaele Salahi are "crashing" it.  I may just watch the entire address JUST to see if I see her platinum blonde hair, and his nasty comb-over.  And I can't wait to watch SNL this weekend, to see how many skits are based off this speech of his...

I could see myself living in and raising a family in a small coastal town in New England...I love lighthouses!  I also could move to northern California or stay in the southeast, perhaps one of the Carolinas.  As far as places I would like to visit?...Ireland is at the top of my list.  Always has been, since I saw the movie "Far and Away" with Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman.  Those beautiful emerald hills, the history,  and those fun accents!  I also have a strong desire to visit Israel, Italy, Australia and Lithuania.  And seeing the place where James Dean (my all-time favorite celebrity) died in California with my dad.  I cannot travel enough!  I LOVE it :)

Why is it so difficult to have important conversations with people face to face?  I'm always worried about how the person will react, or what they will think of me.  I tend to over-analyze things, it's just a part of who I am.  I always think that it's gonna go bad.  But, looking back to previous conversations I've had, most of them have had a positive outcome and it's strengthened my friendship with that person.  What do you do, though, when that person isn't just a friend?  What do you do when you like that person more than a friend, or vice versa?  How do you say something that you feel, but you're afraid they may take it personal?  In the words of my friend Cassie, "You just go for it."  Maybe I will try that...

So I want to start doing something at the end of each blog.  I want to highlight a friend/family member of mine (high school, college, Nashville, Spring Hill) and talk about my friendship with them and what they mean to me.  Today I'm gonna start with my roommate Jenn.  I've known her for almost 6 years now.  We met in 2005 at a Christian summer camp we both worked at.  I was a wrangler, and she was a wrangler counselor, so we spent a portion of every day together.  Thinking back to that summer, I honestly don't remember what brought us together, drew us to one another.  But we clicked and our friendship last way past when camp ended that summer.  Turned out she went to college (Ball State) 25 min from where I went to college (Indiana Wesleyan University).  We traded back and forth, her spending nights with me @ IWU, and me staying with her in College Park.  I remember thinking to myself that we were so different from each other, why does she like me?  I mean, let's be honest...I can be pretty weird.  As our friendship grew, I realized that we both brought different things to the table.  We complimented each other, covered each others weaknesses with strengths.  And I love her for that.  When I moved to Nashville, I kept trying to talk her into visiting me.  I promised her that she would love it and want to move to Music City.   And a year later, she did.  I was so excited!  She's been here with me ever since summer 2008.  Jenn is beautiful, intelligent, confident, independent, friendly, loyal, encouraging, funny, and helpful, among many other things.  I am terribly blessed to have her in my life, and to call her one of my best friends.   So here's to you, Jenny Lynn.  I love you so very much and you mean the world to me :)

2 comments:

  1. aww what a nice thing to say about your friend :)

    P.s trust me, before finding andrew, I was so awkward about having crushes on guys and stuff. I think what you need to do is just go for it and NOT think about it or analyze it because thats when it gets tough! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the encouraging words, eliza :)

    ReplyDelete